I am very excited this week to tell you about the new mobile app and website Fort Box launched called SmartTrakr™! Ever wonder what you have stored in your self storage space? Maybe you wrote it down on a piece of paper that you can no longer locate? Whatever you have, wherever you have it, SmatTrakr™ can organise your space and tell you where it is! Sounds brilliant, right?
SmartTrakr™ lets you create an inventory of your items stored at your Fort Box storage unit, office, and in your home. By having your belongings organised and available at a touch of a button (or mouse), you’ll no longer find yourself searching through rooms and boxes for that one item you are looking for. Accessible on your iPhone and the smarttrakr.com website, SmartTrakr helps you organise your space and track your belongings by location, box, and item.
Being organised can also save you time. SmartTrakr™ can send a request to your Fort Box manager to prepare a box for pick-up or have it shipped to another destination. I have given the app the “Louise Test” (I am not a tech gal) and found it to be really easy to use. There is even a barcode scanning feature and it downloads all the information for your item. I feel so organised just thinking about it!
Now there are a few things I should mention. SmartTrakr™ is for Fort Box and CubeSmart℠ customers only. Contact your Fort Box location for more information.
It would be lovely to hear from you! Share how you organise your space with SmartTrakr™. Email me at email@example.com.
Small space living has its benefits. The first that comes to my mind is – less there is to clean! Then there is the obvious – less square footage means more money to spend on the finer things in life. Unfortunately, there is always a negative. Small spaces typically come with less storage, and that can be problematic. Here are a few self storage solutions for your small space.
- Add Shelving – Empty walls are valuable real estate. By adding a tall shelving unit you are able to utilise the floor to ceiling space. Going vertical will create more storage space.
- Stack it – Clear plastic storage bins are durable, inexpensive, and guarantee maximum space conservation. Purchasing the clear bins lets you easily identify their contents. Fort Box has several sized plastic bins for purchase at their storage centres.
- Consider renting storage space! – A storage locker or storage unit is a great small space solution. By storing seasonal items like your summer wardrobe, bike, and even your collection of shoes (that you just can’t part with), you can rent a smaller flat and still save money by renting a storage unit.
How are you effectively using your small space? It would be lovely to hear from you! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your self storage solutions.
This week I was able to meet up with the self storage experts at Fort Box to ask them what storage tips my readers must know about. The storage tips they provided are helpful and advantageous for anyone utilising self storage. Enjoy!
• Fill boxes to capacity, as partially full or bulging boxes may tip or collapse – use lightweight items such as cushions to ‘fill out’ space.
• Heavy items should be packed into small boxes so that they are easy to lift.
• Label or number boxes for easy reference when you need to locate your goods.
• Make up an inventory of your stored items and keep it in a safe place at home. (Ask about our new inventory management app and website called SmartTrakr™!)
• Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in tissue paper or bubble wrap before storing.
• Wardrobe boxes allow you to store your clothing on hangers which keeps their shape. (Did you read the post on Top Storage Boxes)
• Place heavy or bulky items in the room first to provide a good stacking base.
• Plan your storage space – put those items that you need often near the front, close to the door.
• To maximise space stack similar sized storage boxes together.
• Do not place heavy items on sofas or mattresses.
• Always place a protective cover over your soft furnishings.
• Stack chairs seat to seat with cloth or paper to separate them.
• Avoid stacking or leaning furniture against outside walls to aid ventilation.
Do you have a storage tip to share? It would be lovely to hear from you! Email me at email@example.com.
Think “outside the box” when it comes to office storage! A cramped office can affect productivity as well as appearance. Placing excess office furniture, inventory, or archives in storage downsizes the clutter and can up size your profits.
Here are a few storage tips to consider when choosing the right space for your business storage:
- Flexible Lease Terms – make sure your storage company offers flexible storage options so you only pay for the space you need. You can easily increase or decrease the physical space you need by notifying the manager.
- Transport Services – your storage company should offer several types of transport services. Fort Box offers Removal Service, Item Retrieval, and accepts 3rd party deliveries – so you can focus on growing your business and not stress about how your items get from A to B.
Office space can be very expensive. By utilising business storage, you can save on office space while keeping your business stock securely nearby.
Have a specific business storage question? It would be lovely to hear from you! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Its a well-known fact that the days of picking up storage boxes behind the local market are over. Spending just a few quid on quality storage boxes and packing supplies will save hours of frustration. When it comes to storage boxes there are a few that I find to be excellent companions.
- The Wardrobe Box – It’s a big box with a rack inside for hanging clothes on hangers. This is an excellent time saving invention for clothes packing! No more winkles, no more folding. You can even box your clothes by season or person. Just move them right from your closet to the rack in the box.
- Medium Box – This is my go-to box. It is sturdy enough to hold something heavy like a printer and the dimensions (405x405x405mm) are good for transporting. Small and large storage boxes have their purpose, but seems like everything can fit nice and snug in a medium storage box.
- Archive Box – Is a strong, self-locking (no need for tape) box for archiving and storage of files, folders, bills, and important documents. Having moved several times, I have found this box to keep my papers nice and organised.
For more information and pricing on storage boxes and packing supplies visit the packing supplies offered at Fort Box.
Have a specific storage box question? It would be lovely to hear from you! Email me at email@example.com.
When planning to move, the use of removal services is an important consideration. Summer time is the busiest time of the year for moving. The beginning and end of each month are traditionally busier than the middle of the month, regardless of season. If you are planning a move during one of those times, plan well in advance to schedule your removal services. Alternatively, you can skip the gym and roll up your sleeves to do the heavy lifting yourself! Here are some factors to help you decide between doing it yourself or utilizing a removal services company:
- A reputable, professional removals company is the way to go for most people. It will cost you more than doing it yourself, but look for a removal company that partners with your storage company since they may offer discounts for these services.
- If you’re currently in a relatively small space, you’re much less likely to require a removal company. If your items are going to storage, call your storage company and see if they offer van collection as that may do the job (ahem, Fort Box Storage offers Free Van Collection on select storage units!). If you are moving house to house, contact a reputable storage company that offers van service.
- Many heavy pieces of furniture should point you toward using a removal services company.
- If you’ve lived in your current location for more than three years, you’re more likely to have accumulated more boxes and might require removal assistance.
Have a specific moving question? It would be lovely to hear from you! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Moving house takes time, and if your doing your own packing make sure and you give yourself plenty of it! Plan to start at least six weeks before your move date. “Plan” is the keyword here. Planning well ahead and staying as coordinated and organised as possible will be a lifesaver.
Packing many or all of your items yourself will save you money on the total cost of your move. Alternatively, use the Packing Service offered at Fort Box where a professional mover inventories and packs items at your residence or business. Utilise these tips and tools for properly and safely packing your house before your next move.
- Create an Packing Inventory – Knowing what you have and where it belongs is essential to a stress-free move.
- Have a Packing Plan – Packing a house can be overwhelming. Make a plan and try to pack one room at-a-time. Packing and storing the boxes by room will help keep you organised and the unpacking efforts in the future.
- Use Legit Storage Boxes – It is tempting to skimp on storage boxes by visiting local centres to collect spare ones. Those boxes are not designed for moving and may compromise your valuables. Spending just a couple quid on the proper quality storage boxes will save hours of frustration. Check out the packaging supplies at Fort Box, and determine the ideal uses for each storage box.
- Pack Your Storage Boxes Right – For a sturdy box, tape the seam on the bottom and run another piece of tape perpendicular to that seam. Pad the bottom of the box with paper and wrap fragile items individually. Be sure to label the sides of the storage box, not just the top, so the label is always visible.
Have a specific packing question? It would be lovely to hear from you! Email me at email@example.com.
Selling your property? De-clutter and stage wisely! First impressions count. Professional stagers will often remove 50% of a home’s contents to make it feel more spacious and immaculate. De-cluttering helps make rooms appear larger and is critical to a successful sale. Sure, your home has that personalized, lived-in look, right?! Well, that’s exactly what buyers don’t want to see. They ‘ll want to feel comfortable and be able to imagine themselves living there.
Almost every home shows better with less furniture. Place large furniture and items that are rarely used in a storage unit so a potential buyer can see the actual space and size of your home. Think of this process as a head start on the packing and removal you will eventually need to do!
Leave just enough furniture in each room to showcase the room’s purpose. Make sure potential buyers can determine what each room can be used for. Here are a few, helpful self storage tips to consider when staging your home.
- De-personalise – I’m not saying to throw away your child’s drawings or family photos. This is a perfect time to utilize self-storage to keep all your personal items conveniently packed away until your home sells.
- Stay Motivated – buy some boxes and do one room at a time. Create a plan and set a time limit for packing so you stay on task. Gathering personal items can certainly be tempting to flip through!
- Neutralise – non-neutral items are those that fit a particular taste or style. Your home décor should be less about showing off your unique (but impeccable!) style and more about maximising the amount you can get for your house.
Simplify the renovation process by using self storage. Are you a business? Store extra stock offsite and save loads of money!
Living with clutter can be stressful. Weekly I will provide simple, convenient, and inexpensive ways to de-clutter and de-stress. Do you have a specific question? It would be lovely to hear from you! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hello there! My name is Louise. Having been in the moving, organising, and storage industry for years I have accumulated (no pun intended!) lots of useful, clever, and simple moving and organising tips to help you make the most of your space.
Whether you lack space, feel cramped in your existing space, or want to find a new space. I hope to educate you more on your options and provide you with free resources with simple, inexpensive ways to create your own space oasis!
Why would you give us all this great info for free you ask? The innovative space folks at Fort Box Storage understand living with clutter can be stressful whether you are trying to sell, renovate, move, or just exist within your current space. Fort Box is sponsoring my posts so this info is free to you! Like them on Facebook as a thanks for sponsoring me!
Next week I will provide information on selling your property and include a free moving checklist! Don’t miss out on this info. Subscribe by clicking that little button on the right side bar called EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION.
Do you have a specific question? It would be lovely to hear from you! Email me at email@example.com.